June 23, 2016

Planning Structure and Fees

Planning Permission & Building Regulations

Planning Permission and Building Control are two separate departments within a local authority. Depending on the scale of the proposals, it may be necessary to submit separate applications to each department.

What is Planning?

This is sought and granted by the Planning Department within a local authority in order to develop/extend land or property. In most cases permission is usually required before works commence on any construction of new buildings, major changes to existing buildings (extensions, loft conversions etc.) or considerable changes are made to the local environment.

What are Building Regulations?

Building regulations are a set of national standards that are set out to identify all aspects of a building’s construction, detailing how the structure will be built. They tell the builder and the buildings inspector what materials will be used, the method of construction and so on.

However, it can be a difficult and rigorous process in which most home owners will be left confused and simply want to avoid. Knowing this, we can work on your behalf with the local authority planning and building control department in order to ensure that during the application procedure both the legal requirements and the end product are achieved.

The following fixed fees and pricing provide an indication of what to expect for your project. Larger projects may have to be priced accordingly.

Fees based upon a single side or rear extension to a single dwelling:

● Conservatory Planning £350.00
● Detached Garage or out building Planning&Building Regs - £400.00
● Single story extension or attached garage Planning&Building Regs - £450.00
● Two story extension Planning&Building Regs - £600.00

Fees based upon a two sided (wrap around) extension to a single dwelling:

● Single story extension or attached garage (2 sides) Planning&Building Regs - £550.00
● Two story extension (2 sides) Planning&Building Regs - £700.00

Fees based upon a new build property (per property – Semi or Detached)

● New build single story bungalow (subject to being priced accordingly) Planning&Building Regs - £850.00
● New build two story house (subject to being priced accordingly) Planning&Building Regs - £950.00

Fees based upon Conversion works:

● House to pair of flats Planning&Building Regs - £600.00
● Pair of flats to house Planning&Building Regs - £600.00
● Commercial to residential - Residential to commercial Planning&Building Regs - £750.00
● Loft Conversion (subject to being priced accordingly) Planning&Building Regs - £800.00
● Barn Conversion (subject to being priced accordingly) Planning&Building Regs - £950.00
● Design & Access Statement D&A - £90.00

Fees based upon other associated works:

● Structural Calculations (subject to being priced accordingly) Required for Building Regs - £120.00
● Structural Calculations (Loft Conversion) Required for Building Regs - £550.00
● Acquiring Ordinance Survey site plan from Land Registry Required for Planning - £25.00
● Acting as agent throughout planning application Fee - £80.00

All quoted prices include:

1. Free initial consultation.
2. Full building measured survey of your property.
3. Production of existing layout plans and elevations.
4. Site and location plans for the application.
5. Production of proposed layout plans and elevations for Planning and/or Building Regulations submission.
6. Revisions as required to original scheme.
7. Submission of planning application and/or building regulations.

Please remember if doing a price comparison that all our plans are drawn up for both planning & building regulations approval.

It may not be necessary to obtain Planning Permission for domestic extensions as certain works may be considered to be Permitted Development. In most cases, any construction work will require Building Regulation approval. If you have any queries regarding whether you require only planning or only building regulations drawings, please contact us directly.

For more information regarding Planning Permission, you can contact your local authority or visit the government’s Planning Portal website.